Mice can cause a lot of damage to homes, in a variety of ways. One of the most problematic sources of damage is the fact that mice like to chew on wires. Left unchecked, these critters can create major fire hazards. This article will explore why mice chew through wires, and what steps can be taken to prevent major fire damage.
There are usually a lot of wires hidden in crawl spaces, attics, and walls. These are all places where mice like to hide. As the mice maneuver through your home, they bite through whatever they need to to get around. This can include wires, insulation, wood, glass, rubber brick, and more. These rodents, however, may use wires to grind down their teeth. Mice and rats need to gnaw on hard objects to whittle down their teeth to a more manageable size. Because they can wrap their paws around smaller wires, it can be an easy way to grind them down. Damaged wiring can cause power losses and short circuits. Exposed and frayed electrical wires can create sparks and can even cause fires.
Protecting Your Wires
Mice and rats can easily chomp through wires, but there are ways to prevent or mitigate this. Rodent resistant wire coverings can be placed over existing wires or their replacements. You should have your wiring inspected by an electrician for any signs of damage. They may also be able to help you with encasing wires to prevent rodent damage. If you see any signs of rodents in your home, call a professional, humane wildlife removal service to remove them. New York/New Jersey Wildlife offers humane removal services, as well as cleaning and repair after the animals are removed.